PUBLIC WORKS MAINTENANCECITY OF RIPON
PUBLIC WORKS MAINTENANCE
Under general supervision, performs skilled and semi-skilled maintenance work in the upkeep of parks, streets, water systems, sewer systems, city buildings, refuse collection and vehicle maintenance. Performs other duties as required.
An employee in this classification is distinguished by their responsibility for the operation of all types of power driven equipment and the performance of skilled and semi-skilled maintenance work.
Performs skilled maintenance work in general grounds and facilities maintenance, irrigation system maintenance, cement finishing, street paving, patching, sewer systems, city buildings, vehicles, and water system repairs. Operates motorized equipment including trucks, sweepers, tractors, and back hoes in the maintenance of City streets and grounds.
Performs a variety of maintenance and improvement work on City streets including:
- patches streets using hand tools
- constructs and repairs curbs and gutters by excavating with pneumatic and hand tools, building
forms, and pouring and rough finishing concrete surfaces
- places traffic control and warning signs and serves as flagman
- paints and installs street and traffic signs
- paints street lines, crosswalks and curbs
- cleans and maintains painting stencils
- cleans storm drains, drainage ditches, and culverts
Performs a variety of duties involved in the operation of the City's water distribution system, such as:
- maintains, installs, and repairs water lines
- reads meters
- responds to complaints of citizens regarding water system
- repairs water meters
- takes water samples and completes reports
Performs gardening and grounds maintenance work such as:
- sprays weeds and brush with chemicals
- plants and cares for shrubs, grass, flowers and other decorative plants
- waters, fertilizes, weeds, mows, and edges lawns
- makes minor repairs and adjustment to ground maintenance equipment
Performs work in the maintenance and operation of the wastewater treatment facility, City sanitary sewer collection system, and City refuse collection.
Performs a variety of duties involved in the maintenance of city buildings such as:
- inspect rental facilities for compliance with applicable regulations
- cleans offices and other areas in public buildings
Performs the maintenance and repair of City owned vehicles.
Performs additional duties as assigned.
Ability to lift a minimum of 25 pounds, bend, twist, squat, stretch, reach, walk, climb, and stand for extended periods, work outside and work in small or confined spaces.
Possession of a valid Class "C" California Operator's license issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles. Class "B" operators license may be required for some positions.
May be required to work weekends.
Must live within 35 mile radius of City Hall.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- the operation, minor field maintenance, repair and adjustment of assigned equipment
- general procedure, methods, tools and equipment used in road construction and maintenance; parks
and facilities maintenance, and water system maintenance
- effects and problems of industrial waste in wastewater treatment processes
- provisions of the California Vehicle Code applying to the operation of vehicles
- public works safety regulations and practices
- skillfully and safely operate assigned equipment
- perform minor field maintenance repair and adjustment of such equipment
- read and interpret prints and sketches
- diagnose operating problems and direct effective correction procedures
- prepare required reports and maintain complete record-keeping procedures
- provide training in equipment operation
- understand and follow oral and written direction
- establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of training and experience which is likely to provide the required knowledge and skill is acceptable.
Typically, this includes:
- education equivalent to graduation from high school