Part-Time Environmental Compliance Inspector Assistant
Part-Time Environmental Compliance Inspector Assistant
Salary: $16.00 - $22.50 Hourly
The City of Turlock is accepting applications for the Part-time Environmental Compliance Inspector Assistant position in the Municipal Services Department. This position will perform inspections, minor maintenance of tools, vehicles, and equipment, and assist with storm water clean-up as assigned. General supervision will be provided by the Water Quality Control Division Manager and the Environmental Compliance Inspector.
An eligibility list will be established from this recruitment that will be valid for six (6) months. The list may be used to fill future part-time vacancies if they become available.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General supervision is provided by the WQC Division Manager and the Environmental Compliance Inspector.
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Work under general supervision to perform the following:
- Maintain sampling systems; collect samples and conduct laboratory tests in compliance with the approved methods for the examination of water and wastewater.
- Prepare Industrial samples for laboratory analysis.
- Assist in the implementation and enforcement of the City’s Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG) program to minimize / prevent Sanitary Sewer Overflows (SSOs).
- Assist in the implementation and enforcement of the City’s Liquid Waste Hauler (LWH) program to ensure compliance with Anaerobically Digestible Material standards.
- Clean sample containers, instruments, and laboratory equipment.
- Follow safety rules, quality control and assurance procedures.
- And other duties as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Mechanical abilities related to basic hand tools (e.g., screw drivers, wrenches, garden trowels, brooms, shovels, etc).
- Laboratory equipment and instruments (desired).
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, public, industrial users and business owners.
- Prepare clear and concise logs for sample receiving and quality assurance requirements.
- Maintain accurate and complete records on inspection reports.
- Ability to learn basic laboratory technique and laboratory safety procedures.
- Ability to learn and carry out Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ability to perform data entry into the City’s specialized software (i.e. Computerized Maintenance Management Software, LinkoHW, Bluebeam).
- Excellent customer service skills with internal and external customers.
- Interpret wastewater and storm water related questions; direct citizens or business representatives to proper City personnel or offices.
- Work independently, with minimal supervision.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Demonstrate computer skills relevant to the position.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
Experience and Education
One (1) year of maintenance experience, including working with the general public is desired.
High School diploma or GED certificate, supplemented by college level course work or equivalent vocational/technical institutional coursework in mathematics and chemistry.
Possession of a valid California Drivers License in the category necessary to perform essential duties of the position may be required at the time of appointment. Maintenance of a valid California Driver's License is a condition of continued employment.
Maintain the following physical abilities: see well enough to view and work with computer screen for extended periods, read fine print; hear well enough to converse on the telephone in assisting the public with emergency and non-emergency situations; use of hands and fingers for use of answering telephones, computer keyboard, writing and filing.
Veteran's Preference System:
The City of Turlock has adopted a veteran's preference system (effective January 1, 2002). The percentage score achieved through an entrance (non-promotional) examination which ranks applicants on an eligibility list shall be adjusted to provide: (a) one (1) percentage point added to the final test score for each six (6) months of active service during a time of armed conflict, up to a maximum of five (5) points, and (b) five (5) percentage points added to the final test score for veterans who are disabled as a result of active military service during a time of armed conflict, regardless of length of service. To receive preference points, applicants must provide supporting documentation and proof of honorable discharge. In no event shall an applicant receive more than a five (5) point adjustment. This request should be made in section #12 of the employment application form. A copy of your DD214 must be attached for this request to be considered.
Medical Examination and Fingerprinting:
The incumbent will be required to take a medical examination including a drug/alcohol screening and be fingerprinted.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The City of Turlock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are sincerely interested in receiving applications from qualified minorities, women, and disabled candidates. Qualified applicants receive equal consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, political affiliation or belief except where indicated by requirements of the job.
The City of Turlock will make every effort to accommodate applicants who have disabilities that do not allow them to compete in the selection process. Applicants are asked to indicate their request for accommodation in the application form.
Customer Service Policy:
The City of Turlock is committed to quality service to our customers. Our goal is to create a positive, productive and courteous atmosphere for our employees and customers. Employees are evaluated on the quality of customer service they provide.
Sick Leave: The City of Turlock amended a Paid Sick Leave Policy on December 28, 2023 which applies to all part-time, temporary and seasonal employees as of January 1, 2024. One (1) hour per every 30 hours worked, paid at the employee's regular wage rate (capped at eighty (80) hours).
Part-Time employees do not receive full benefits.
HOURLY RATE OF PAY: $16.00 - $22.50 per hour
HOURS OF WORK:
Hours and days may vary. This position shall not exceed twenty (20) hours per week or 960 hours per fiscal year.