Plans Examiner I
Plans Examiner I
Salary: $5,771.00 - $7,015.00 Monthly
The City of Turlock is currently accepting applications for the position of Plans Examiner I. The Plans Examiner is responsible for the review of building plans and specifications of routine and complex structure and building systems compliance. The incumbent will also assist at the public counter by providing technical support and to investigate and secure compliance with the applicable laws, ordinances, codes, standards, plans and specifications.
This classification is assigned to the Turlock City Employees Association bargaining unit for labor relations purposes and is subject to overtime, evening and weekend assignments.
An eligibility list will be established from this recruitment that will be valid for six (6) months. All employees serve a one (1) year probationary period.
This is considered the entry level in the professional Plans Examiner series. Positions assigned to this class perform the more routine and standardized tasks. It is expected that the knowledge and skills of the incumbent will be enhanced through a comprehensive orientation program, which leads to performing increasingly responsible work with minimal direct supervision.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
General supervision is provided by the Chief Building Official, or Senior Plans Examiner. Technical or functional supervision may be provided by higher level Plans Examiner personnel.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Accept, review and process a wide variety of permit applications relating to construction and development activities administered by the City Building & Safety Division.
- Review plans, architectural drawings, structural calculations, and specifications submitted with development permit applications to insure completeness and conformance with the department's requirements.
- Calculate and collect required fees for building permit applications.
- Provide information at the public counter regarding the City Building Codes and Ordinances including regulations on occupancies, structures, fire life safety issues, accessibility, energy conservation and other construction related issues.
- Perform over-the-counter plan check of fences, walls, small room additions, patios, decks, garages, and other small construction projects.
- Review building plans for sufficiency and code compliance; route plans to other affected departments, and distribute plan check submittals to builders/contractors for corrections.
- Assist with nonresidential plan review.
- Research construction products and techniques for code approval.
- Coordinate plan review activities with other city departments and public agencies as needed.
- Assist in conducting investigations of construction code enforcement and abatement issues.
- Determine compliance to California Building, Plumbing, Mechanical and Electrical Code, and pertinent provisions of State, County, & local ordinances.
- Confer with architects, contractors, builders and general public in the office and on site to resolve complaints and answer questions regarding plan check correction lists, conditions of permit approvals, and use of alternative methods or materials.
- Maintain permit records and plan review reports.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Accepted safety standards and methods of building construction.
- Building related codes and ordinances enforceable by the City, specifically, the California Building Code.
- Principles and techniques of Plans Examiner work.
- Apply technical knowledge and follow proper plan review techniques, and detect deviations from model codes, regulations and standard construction practices.
- Learn to perform journey level plan review skills in a variety of specialty trade areas and to perform competent and efficient work as a plans examiner.
- Determine that construction systems conform to City Code requirements.
- Read and interpret building plans, specifications and building codes.
- Advise on standard construction methods and requirements.
- Make arithmetical computations rapidly and accurately.
- Enforce necessary regulations with firmness and tact.
- Establish and maintain an effective working relationship with those contacted during the course of work.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Experience and Education
Any combination of experience and training that would be likely to provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Two years of residential drafting or inspection experience (30 college units with major course work in Building Technology, Construction Management or a related field may be substituted for one year of the required experience).
Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade supplemented with related college courses.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATE:
Possession of a Code Certification issued by the International Code Conference (ICC) or California Building Officials (CALBO) as a Residential Plans Examiner or Residential Building Inspector or equivalent, or registration as an Architect or Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California (For an Architect or Engineer, certification by the ICC or CALBO as a Residential Building Plans Examiner is required within 12 months of employment).
Possession of a valid California Driver's License at the time of appointment and must be maintained thereafter as a condition of continued employment.
Maintain the following physical abilities: see well enough to read, write, make observations, view computer screen, read gauges and other instrumentation as well as operate a motor vehicle; hear well enough to converse on the radio, telephone, and in person; use hands and fingers well enough to use computer keyboard, write, file and answer telephones; bodily mobility to walk on uneven surfaces or sloped surfaces such as construction sites and roofs, bend, stand, climb on scaffolding and ladders, and be able to tolerate extreme fluctuations in temperatures while performing inspections or other duties.
1. All applicants must complete a standard City of Turlock application for employment form, supplemental questionnaire and submit the required documentations as stated on the job announcement.
2. You may submit your required verification using the following options:
- Attach a scanned copy in the "Add Attachment" option (of the NeoGov online application) or
- Fax a copy to (209) 668-5529 or
- Email a copy to TGalya@turlock.ca.us or
- Hand deliver copies of your attachments to 156 S. Broadway, Suite 235, Turlock, CA on or before the final filing date.
Applications will be rejected if they incomplete or required documentation is not attached.
3. Applications will be reviewed for possession of the minimum qualifications. In the event that a large number of applicants possess the minimum qualifications, applicants who appear to be the most qualified based on their breadth and recency of experience will be invited to compete in the testing process.
4. Candidates invited to compete in the testing process may be required to take a written examination, which is based on a pass/ fail basis. In the event that a large number of candidates pass the written examination, the City reserves the right to invite a percentage of the top scoring candidates to compete in the next test phase of the testing process, an oral examination.
5. Candidates who participate in the oral examination and receive a score of 70% or more will be placed on an eligibility list. Ranking on the eligibility list is based solely on the results of the oral exam.
6. Completion of a practical exercise may be conducted in order to further evaluate skills relating to essential job functions.
7. Top candidates from the eligibility list will be referred to the Department for final appointment consideration.
8. Final appointment will be contingent upon passing the following: reference review, medical examination which includes a drug/alcohol screening, hearing exam and vision exam.
VETERAN’S PREFERENCE SYSTEM:
The City of Turlock has adopted a veteran's preference system (effective January 1, 2002). The percentage score achieved through an entrance (non-promotional examination which ranks applicants on an eligible list shall be adjusted to provide: (a) one (1) additional percentage point shall be added to final test score for each six (6) months of active service during a time of armed conflict, up to a maximum of five (5) points and (B) five (5) percentage points added to the final test score for veterans who are disabled as a result of active military service during a time of armed conflict, regardless of length of service. To receive preference points, applicants must provide supporting documentation and proof of honorable discharge. In no event shall an applicant receive more than a five-point adjustment. This request should be made in section #6 of application form. A copy of your DD214 must be attached for this request to be considered.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Turlock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are sincerely interested in receiving applications from qualified minorities, women and the disabled. Qualified applicants receive equal consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, political affiliation or belief except where indicated by requirements of the job.
The City of Turlock will make every effort to accommodate applicants that have disabilities that would not allow them to compete in the announced process. Applicants are asked to indicate their requests for accommodation in the application form.
MEDICAL EXAMINATION AND FINGERPRINTING:
The incumbent will be required to take a medical examination including a drug/alcohol screening and be fingerprinted.
CUSTOMER SERVICES POLICY:
The City of Turlock is committed to quality service to our customers. Our goal is to create a positive, productive and courteous atmosphere for our employees and customers. Employees are evaluated on the quality of customer service they provide.
Holidays: Eleven (11) paid holidays and three (3) floating holidays.
Vacation: Paid vacation that increases with years of service.
Sick Leave: Accrual of one day (eight (8) hours) for each month worked.
Retirement: Qualified candidates who are currently a CalPERS member or have been a CalPERS member within the last six (6) months or are subject to reciprocity with another eligible retirement plan, may be a "classic member" and may be enrolled in the City's 2.7% @ 55 plan. Employee pays employee contribution rate of 9% on a pre-tax basis. CalPERS "final compensation" may be based on the highest twelve (12) continuous months of qualifying employment. Non-classic or "new members" will be enrolled in the 2% @ 62 plan and CalPERS "final compensation" will be based on the highest thirty-six (36) continuous months of qualifying employment.
Deferred Compensation: The City will match employee's contribution up to one half of one percent (0.5%) of the employee's base salary for each pay period in which employee contributes to the program.
Retiree Health Savings (RHS) Vantage Care: Two (2) percent of the employee's base payroll will be deposited in each individual's RHS Vantage Care account.
Health: The City offers a generous health, prescription, vision, and dental insurance plans for employees and dependents.
Continuous Service Pay:
Beginning with the tenth (10th) year and every year thereafter, 1.5% of base salary.
Beginning with the fifteenth (15th) year and every year thereafter, 1.5% of base salary. Beginning with the twentieth (20th) year and every year thereafter, 1.5% of base salary.
Associate/Bachelor/Master's Degree Incentive Pay (If not listed as a minimum qualification)* Educational Reimbursement Program*
Computer Loan Program*
* Upon completion of probation.
The City of Turlock does not participate in Social Security, although employees hired after April 1, 1986 participate in Medicare.
Information contained herein does not constitute an expressed or implied contract as it is subject to change.