($3,000 Sign On Bonus)
Florida International University is a top public university that drives real talent and innovation in Miami and globally. Very high research (R1) activity and high social mobility come together at FIU to uplift and accelerate learner success in a global city by focusing in the areas of environment, health, innovation, and justice. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers. FIU serves a diverse student body of more than 56,000 and 290,000 Panther alumni. U.S. News and World Report places dozens of FIU programs among the best in the nation, including international business at No. 2. Washington Monthly Magazine ranks FIU among the top 20 public universities contributing to the public good.
The Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine is currently seeking a Paramedic to join our team of professionals.
- Operates the Mobile Health Clinic (MHC) to and from Florida International University (FIU) locations as requested by the MHC Program.
- Prepares the clinic at the start of each day and secures all medical items prior to departure. Performs daily 360 external walk around inspection of mobile clinic pre/post trip.
- Assists patients entering and exiting the mobile health clinic. Operates wheel-chair lift and prepares patients for transport.
- Conducts triage for all patients by checking vital signs, obtaining patient history and providing care through the entire visit. Documents in the Electronic Medical Record and updates providers on patient needs. May have contact and/or access to minors and/or vulnerable persons within the MHC.
- Performs various procedures such as, 12-lead EKG, phlebotomy, immunizations, spirometry, medication administration, point of care testing and assists providers as needed.
- Manages the control of vaccines, provides patients with information and consent forms prior to vaccine administration.
- Responsible for all lab specimens, ensuring specimens are labeled correctly and contacts lab for specimen pick-up and result status if needed.
- Inspects all medical equipment to ensure serviceability and compliance with safety and infection control regulations and standards.
- Monitors inventory of supplies and informs management of any supplies needed and medications that will be expiring.
- Handles sterile equipment and tools following the correct sterilizing techniques. Responsible for delivering nonsterile tools to Ambulatory Care Center (ACC) for autoclaving and picking up tools once autoclaving is complete. Maintains Autoclaving Tools Log.
- Monitors temperature control of refrigerator, freezer, and ambiance. Able to receive notifications regarding temperature changes. Handles all IT equipment issues while on the MHC.
- Ensures the safety of all FIU providers, students, staff and patients on the Mobile Health Center including FIU/NHELP Police contact as well as panic alarm testing.
- Keeps records of daily procedures, vehicle maintenance logs including vaccine and medication logs, panic alarm, eye wash station, IT and AED and reports any issues to management.
- Responsible for fueling the MHC as well as adding water to the freshwater tank and checking gray water levels. Maintains records of all vehicle repairs, maintenance and reports any vehicle problems/issue to the Operations Manager or Clinical Director.
- Performs other related duties as required or directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- High school diploma or GED and 1 year of experience working as a Paramedic.
- Paramedic Certification from an accredited Paramedic program.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support Certification
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification
- Emergency Vehicle Operators Certification (EVOC)
- Valid Florida Driver's License -Class E
- One (1) year of experience as a Licensed Paramedic preferred.
- One (1) year of driving experience with an Emergency Vehicle Operators Certification (EVOC) preferred.
- Pediatric Advanced Life support preferred.
- Paramedic must be able to recognize life- threatening situations and must be knowledgeable in the treatment of such situation based on the paramedic scope of practice.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please visit us on-line at https://hr.fiu.edu/careers/, click on “Prospective Employees” or “Current Employees” and search for job opening ID 529323.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.