Access Control and IT Technician
Access Control and IT Technician
The George Mason University, Card Access Security Office, invites applications for the position of Access Control and IT Technician. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Position:
The primary purpose of the Access Control and IT Technician is to provide maintenance to the University’s CCTV equipment and access control hardware. Applicants should be familiar with various IT systems and concepts like networking fundamentals. Additionally, applicants should have strong IT troubleshooting skills to work through issues that arise while working in the field. Technicians will ensure that all components of the various systems are operating correctly (including door contacts, request to exit devices, readers, the actual lock, power supplies, encoders, network connections, and cameras). This includes maintenance of network connectivity and software settings for all connected hardware, ensuring proper documentation of work completed and inventory used.
The Access Control and IT Technician is responsible for providing and coordinating repairs and maintenance of technical equipment. Technicians will also troubleshoot and provide end-user technical support for access control, alarm, and CCTV systems. Additionally, technicians will perform timely installations of electronic card access, alarm, and CCTV systems. Installation will include running, pulling, terminating, and splicing cable. Technicians will mount system control panels and related components both mechanical and electronic.
- High School diploma or equivalent;
- Ability to learn complex software systems, including:
- Strong knowledge of Windows management and troubleshooting;
- Ability to diagnose network connectivity issues;
Strong written and verbal communication skills, including:
- Experience in building user documentation and training processes;
- Ability to focus on and prioritize multiple tasks maintaining attention to detail;
- Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision;
- Strong problem-solving skills; and
- Excellent public relations/customer service skills.
- Demonstrated experience with security-related hardware and controls;
- Knowledge of electrical testing tools and equipment;
- Experience with CCTV systems;
- Experience with RS2 Access Control systems;
- Knowledge of the following access control hardware: Precision, Von Duprin, Sargent, Altronix, PERSONA and Stanley Hardware; and
- Knowledge of the following security camera systems: Pelco, Axis, Arecont, Samsung and Hikvision.
NOTE: Candidates must successfully complete a criminal background check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 09703Z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.