The George Mason University, School of Business, invites applications for the position of Fiscal Specialist. The primary responsibility of this position is to provide full range of administrative, grant and procurement support, serving as a member of the School of Business Fiscal Management team. This is a full-time classified staff position with full benefits.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment. Mason is the most diverse public university in Virginia and 12th nationally, based on the U.S. News & World Report 2022 Best Colleges list. Washington, D.C. is ranked the 30th most racially and ethnically diverse city nationally amongst cities with a population of at least 300,000 people according to the U.S. News & World Report 2018 Diversity Ranking.
The Fiscal Specialist has responsibilities in the following areas:
Grant Administration and Reconciliation:
- Conducts a systematic review of financial activity to verify that all grant charges and credits are accurate and appropriate by reconciling to source documents post-award;
- Prepares monthly/bi-monthly reconciliations; and
- Reviews budgets and proposals for accuracy and appropriateness in pre-award.
- Processes travel authorizations and requests through the Mason Finance Gateway;
- Screens incoming requests in eVA, Travel Request system, or hard copy documents, and enters requests in document log;
- Generates vouchers for payment of authorized expenditures from the University Foundation;
- Processes credit card purchases when authorized; and
- Serves as customer service representative in the dean’s office for all procurement and related inquiries from school personnel.
General Office Administration for the Procurement Team:
- Works in conjunction with the Procurement team to support the reporting and general office administration functions for the team as needed;
- Copies, logs, scans, and files all procurements documents as needed; and
- Creates and maintains procurement related files (both electronic and hard), including maintaining required hard copy vendor files (both electronic and hard copy) in an accurate manner, and maintaining all credit card documentation in a timely and accurate manner as needed.
- Skill in the use of computers with intermediate to advanced working knowledge of word processing and excel applications in Microsoft Office;
- Ability to work independently and complete multiple tasks within tight deadlines;
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Effective verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively as a key member of an administrative support team in a dynamic environment; and
- Ability to handle matters with discretion and maintain absolute confidentiality in a highly visible office.
- Experience working in Higher Education;
- Ability to quickly gain proficiency in web-based database platforms and applications;
- Working knowledge of operational fiscal administration processes to execute assigned functions and tasks to assist in the management of budgetary and resolve most problems that arise;
- Knowledgeable in budget development and execution, personnel administration, and office operations;
- Knowledgeable in fiscal, personnel, procurement, travel, and other administrative applications in support of organizational operations;
- Experience in providing administrative support in an academic environment; and
- Experience in conducting accurate and timely analysis, and effectively presenting oral and written reports to supervisors and management to resolve problems and make recommendations for improvements.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information including email addresses.
For Full Consideration, Apply by:
Open Until Filled?
Mason Ad Statement
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Campus Safety Information
Mason’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://police.gmu.edu/annual-security-report/