Director, Office of Equal Opportunity
Director, Office of Equal Opportunity
We are a community committed to preparing students to be educated and enlightened citizens who lead productive and meaningful lives.
To be the national model for the engaged university: engaged with ideas and the world.
Who We Are
Located in the heart of Virginia’s beautiful Shenandoah Valley, the city of Harrisonburg is approximately 120 miles from Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA. With a population of just over 53,000, Harrisonburg is one of the most diverse communities in the Commonwealth of Virginia. JMU is a selective, public institution with a growing national reputation for offering experiences that lead to an outstanding education and inclusive environment for students, faculty and staff. The student body includes approximately 20,000 undergraduate and 1,900 graduate students, with over 1,000 full-time instructional faculty.
JMU offers thriving programs in the liberal arts, science and technology, and professional disciplines at the undergraduate, master’s and doctoral levels. The university is committed to expanding diversity, fostering equity and inclusion, and supporting superlative teaching and scholarship. JMU has achieved national recognition for the high quality of its academic programs, focus on maintaining strong student/faculty interaction, and innovative faculty research.
The Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity supervises two employees and facilitates the resolution of informal and formal complaints of harassment and discrimination. In addition, the individual will provide training for the campus to maintain a safe and productive campus climate.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct training for the campus on OEO topics, policies, and procedures related to creating a safe environment.
- Conduct investigations of formal complaints and facilitate resolutions of informal reports; assist with the training of hearing boards.
- Stay current on federal and state laws and regulations concerning equal employment and recommend appropriate changes to university policies and procedures; assist in the development of the annual Affirmative Action report.
- Collaborate with other university offices to facilitate understanding and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Supervise the staff in the OEO office; maintain accurate records as required.
- Assist with other investigations such as Title IX, as needed.
- Master’s degree in relevant field and/or higher education
- Progressive leadership in diversity, affirmative action and inclusion work
- Experience with managing compliance-based administrative tasks and process in service to complainants, respondents and institution that are related to claims of protected class discrimination
- Experience in facilitation to resolve conflicts
- Experience in the investigation process and appropriate resolutions
- A record of commitment to inclusiveness and diversity
- Be current on trends and issues in higher education; familiarity with federal and state laws and policies
- Ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders.
- Experience in developing and delivering trainings
- Team player and a record of collaboration across the institution
- Experience successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.