Lead Network Engineer
Lead Network Engineer
The Lead Network Engineer will provide direct support to customers, networking team members and IT management by:
- Planning, Designing, Implementing, and supporting the JMU Network.
- Researching vendors and technology solutions.
- Ensuring Network Topology documents are updated as changes occur and are securely maintained and readily accessible to the Network staff.
- Managing and monitoring network monitoring systems and reporting issues for escalation and resolution.
- Ensuring network devices are configured to best practices and that configurations are securely backed up.
- Supporting and mentoring Network Team members.
The successful candidate will:
- Work closely with the Manager of Network Services and members of the university community to design and manage an adaptive network that meets the needs of IT and the university as a whole.
- Work with Vendors and Consultants to ensure that the network is keeping pace with the technology curve.
- Configure and maintain all aspects of the wired, wireless, and datacenter networks.
- Lead and manage Networking projects.
- Serve as the Networking representative for a wide variety of IT, departmental and university level projects.
- Participate in the on-call rotation.
- Serve as a technical escalation point for and provide technical instruction, support, and mentoring to junior level network team members.
- Experience designing, implementing, and troubleshooting a complex network in a large campus or enterprise environment
- Advanced knowledge of Cisco IOS/IOS-XE and Juniper Junos OS
- Advanced knowledge of and experience configuring and troubleshooting Aruba products including ClearPass, Wireless LAN Controllers, and Airwave
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting routing protocols including OSPF and BGP
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting first hop redundancy protocols such as HSRP and VRRP
- Intermediate to advanced Python programming skills
- Excellent Oral and Written Communication Skills
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem solving skills
- Strong Attention to Details skills
- Strong Leadership and Mentoring Ability
- Experience in Higher Education
- Knowledgeable in CIS Benchmarks for Networking
- Knowledgeable in ISO 27002
- Ability to adjust schedules as the needs arise.
- Ability to meet and assist software/hardware vendors in all
areas of computing
- Experience with the following technologies/vendors
- Network Segmentation Methods
- Cisco Switches and Routers
- Juniper Switches and Firewalls
- Aruba Wireless Components, ClearPass, AirWave
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.