Desktop Systems Engineer (Budget Analyst IBO - Mgt)
Job Description: Desktop Systems Engineer (Budget Analyst IBO – Mgt)
The New York City Independent Budget Office (IBO), a nonpartisan city agency, is responsible under the City Charter to provide analyses and issue public reports on city budgetary and policy matters in order to enhance the understanding and decision making of elected officials and the public.
IBO is recruiting for a Desktop Systems Engineer/Supervising Analyst to join our team. This position is to be filled immediately and is not subject to any hiring freeze.
You will provide supervision and support for our effort to move IBO into the CityNet environment, with particular responsibility for day-to-day technical support and timely resolution of end-users’ desktop related issues, incident tickets and optimal restoration solution. In this role, you will receive direction from the Identity and Access Management (IAM) team at the NYC Office of Technology and Information (OTI), which hosts the CityNet platform.
OTI provides for the sustained, efficient and effective delivery of IT services, infrastructure and telecommunications to enhance service delivery to NYC residents, businesses, employees and visitors. As the City's technology leader, OTI is responsible for maintaining the foundational IT infrastructure and systems for all NYC agencies, including IBO.
The Desktop Systems Engineer will:
- Develop required desktop gold image for IBO end users.
- Provide level 2 and level 3 end-user support.
- Use diagnostic tools to troubleshoot problems associated with network connectivity, and workstation hardware/software.
- Maintain and support all Windows desktop and server operating systems and applications, and assist with problem resolution, including but not limited to: provide Windows server support for physical and virtual servers; set up/configure/administer Windows servers from Windows server 2016/2019/2022; provide technical support, troubleshooting, diagnosis and problem resolution; and perform Windows server maintenance and Windows systems administration.
- Conduct server and workstation inventory.
- Create, maintain, and update department documentation.
- Provide general user administration, including but not limited to password resets, account changes, and permission changes.
- Keep supervisors and managers informed of existing or potential problems in a timely manner.
- Interact professionally with users, peers and vendors.
- Troubleshoot and resolve OS, disk space and memory issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Represent IBO in meetings with key
- Prepare reports, status summaries, and presentations for senior
- Communicate (verbal and written) effectively with stakeholders and agency leadership about the project.
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent knowledge of PC and desktop hardware and internal components, and hands-on hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Excellent knowledge of: Active Directory and networking fundamentals, including TCP/IP protocol suite, IP addressing, OSI model, and Ethernet cabling; and PC/Laptop and desktop related software such as MS Windows OS, MS Office suite, etc.
- Experience with virtualization software such as VMWare vSphere
- Ability to perform patching and maintenance of systems and to provide basic to intermediate LAN/WAN support.
- Extensive equipment support experience with supporting users in a Windows environment.
- Working technical knowledge of current protocols, operating systems, and standards.
- Ability to operate tools, components, and peripheral accessories.
- Effective interpersonal skills and relationship-building skills.
- Strong written and oral communication, analytical and troubleshooting skills, organization and multi-tasking skills, and ability to collaborate with various teams.
- 3 years’ experience with configuring & administering Windows Servers and 5 years’ experience with configuring and administering desktop computers, preferred.
- Certification preferred – VMware VCP, Microsoft MCSA.
- Knowledge of Cloud solutions (Azure, AWS), Citrix and scripting languages (Java, PHP, Python, Perl etc), is a plus.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisor, leadership, associates, outside consultants and vendors.
- Experience working with NYC agencies preferred.
Baccalaureate degree in Computer Science, Information Security or related, from an accredited college and three years of satisfactory full-time experience related to projects and policies required by this position; or education and/or experience which equivalent to same.
NYC residency must be established within 90 days of appointment and is required for the first two years of city service, after which employees may reside in Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk, or Westchester Counties. Foreign nationals must have a valid permanent resident card (“green card”) or renewable work permit.
The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
As a current or prospective employee of the City of New York, you may be eligible for federal loan forgiveness programs and state repayment assistance programs. Please review the notice to see if you may be eligible for programs and how to apply at nyc.gov/studentloans.
IBO allows for hybrid work schedules.
No phone calls please.
Salary Range: $125,000
Send resume and cover letter to OTIproject@ibo.nyc.ny.us by February 9, 2024