Stockton Unified School DistrictStockton Unified School District
Stockton Unified School District
Receives general supervision from the Vehicle Maintenance Supervisor; may receive supervision from a Lead Mechanic to perform journey-level work in the maintenance and repair of diesel and gasoline-powered vehicles and equipment; and perform related duties as assigned. Exercises technical supervision over Equipment Service Workers
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES: (Incumbents may perform any combination of the essential functions shown below (E). This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, knowledge, or abilities associated with this classification but is intended to accurately reflect the principle job elements.)
Perform complex mechanical work in the maintenance and repair of diesels and gasoline school buses and other equipment.
Diagnose problems in the shop or in the field. (E)
Overhaul engines and rebuild transmissions and differentials. (E)
Make repairs to automatic transmissions, air conditioning, air-operated equipment, repair and replace clutches, air, vacuum and hydraulic brakes, cylinder linings, connecting rods, bearings, and crankshafts. (E)
Adjust valves. (E)
Repair and replace starters, generators, distributors, relays and other automotive electrical equipment. (E)
Repair and replace axles, radiators, hoses, fuel and water pumps. (E)
Perform various welding tasks; repair and replace seats, bus windows, and windshields. (E)
Fabricate repair parts and tools as needed. (E)
Make emergency repairs in the field. (E)
Maintain records of repair and maintenance work. (E)
Maintain regular and prompt attendance in the work place. (E)
Perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Methods, materials, tools and equipment necessary for the repair and maintenance of heavy duty diesel and gasoline-powered equipment.
- Provisions of the California Motor Vehicle Code and the Motor Carrier Regulations.
- Title 13 applicable to the operation of vehicles in transporting students.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Diagnose mechanical defects and repair and adjust motors and equipment.
- Use skillfully the tools and equipment needed in repair and maintenance of diesel and gasoline-powered equipment.
- Read and prepare schematics and diagrams.
- Estimate costs of mechanical repairs.
- Maintain effective working relations with others.
- Read and write at the level required for successful performance on the job.
- Physical capability sufficient to perform job tasks.
- Develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Carry out oral and written directions; write and speak at a level sufficient to fulfill the duties to be performed for the position described.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to: three years journey level experience in the repair and maintenance of heavy-duty equipment and vehicles.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE:
Possession of a valid Class B Driver’s License with a Passenger Endorsement or must acquire one within four (4) months of hire date.
(Class A with a “P” Endorsement is acceptable)
Indoor and outdoor work environment.
Regular exposure to fumes, dust and odors.
As required must wear protective devices such as earplugs, dust mask, coveralls, gloves, safety boots and safety glasses.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE:
Possession of a valid Class B Driver’s License with a Passenger Endorsement or must acquire one within four (4) months of hire date. (Class A with a “P” Endorsement is acceptable) Application materials must be received online by 4 pm on Monday, October 16, 2017. Interested applicants must submit a letter of interest, a completed classified online application, valid drivers license and a current resume. Please visit our website at: www.stocktonusd.net