Publicity/Marketing Coordinator (Office of Vice President for Research)
UConn’s Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) seeks a talented and collaborative Communications Coordinator to join our Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Technology Commercialization Services (TCS) team. The successful candidate will play a critical role in the advancement of world-class research, creating content to enhance storytelling and recognition of the UConn Research brand. The TCS Communications Coordinator will collaborate with scientific/entrepreneurial stakeholders and professional staff, conduct independent research and prolifically conceive and produce articles, graphic elements, and social media content. This position requires advanced writing and visual/graphic design skills to support digital marketing and promotional activities and will actively manage the TCS websites and social media accounts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and develop assets that support/align with objectives to positively impact the brand, image, awareness, exposure, and ability to generate revenue/relationships between the OVPR, University, and external stakeholders.
- Design print and electronic media graphics for distribution through various platforms, including Powerpoint presentations, emails, social media, print collateral, advertisements, promotional items, and the web.
- Actively manage TCS websites.
- Proactively identify and suggest research story ideas for coverage in UConn Today, the University’s official news source, as well as other publications in consultation with the OVPR Research Communications Team.
- Develop and write profiles of UConn researchers and TIP entities, showcasing their work and impact.
- Cultivate stories and content for digital newsletters to stakeholders and support venture development initiatives.
- Contribute, write, and edit content for TCS internal, external, and digital and print publications, including reports, marketing materials, and special projects.
- Develop content for and monitor TCS social media platforms, including Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Maintain adherence to UConn’s style guide and brand standards.
- Maintain adherence to the OVPR Research Communication and brand standards.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of relevant experience in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, graphic design, or another appropriate field.
- Knowledge of general graphic design principles, typography, and color theory as well as the production process for print/digital media.
- Adeptness in the creation and facilitation of social media content.
- Basic web and digital design skills and knowledge of web/design development practices.
- Expertise with Microsoft Office and related software applications.
- Expertise with Adobe Creative Suite and other design software applications.
- Expertise with WordPress.
- Superior verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced professional writing skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously, and to meet established deadlines.
- Knowledge of academic research or experience working in higher education.
- Experience or background writing about STEM-related and/or entrepreneurial topics.
- Experience writing in Associated Press style.
- Experience developing charts and designing graphics to support representation of entrepreneurial or scientific data and concepts.
This is a full-time, permanent position with an excellent benefits package including medical and retirement, as well as employee and dependent tuition waivers at the University of Connecticut. Other rights, terms, and conditions of employment are contained in the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Connecticut and the University of Connecticut Professional Employees Association (UCPEA).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #497518 to upload a resume, cover letter, contact information for three (3) professional references, as well as a portfolio containing samples of professional writing, elements of graphic design, and evidence of social media and/or promotional activities. Incomplete applications may not be considered.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on May 22, 2023.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty, and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural, and diverse University.